Nowadays widely applied painkiller “Aspro,” a high-quality aspirin product, was first manufactured in 1915 by a Melbourne pharmacist George Nicholas and an industrial experimenter, Henry Woolf Smith. Although taking on with Aspirin (manufactured by the German firm Bayer), Aspro later became a integral part of the international pharmaceutical market.
Prior to World War I, constricted quantity of Aspirin or acetyl salicylic acid were delivered by Germany. As supplies started to reduce, a young Australian chemist, George Nicholas, tried his own production in a local small pharmacy in Melbourne. The product was created on the basis of salicylic acid reaction with an acrid smelling liquid, acetic anhydride, while being heated. Although the patent to Aspirin manufacturing and the trade mark covering the name were the ownership of Bayer, a German chemical facility, patent cover had not been given for Australia, even though trade mark ‘Aspirin’ was sought after.
Nicholas’ early strains, in 1914, to manufacture a very impure aspirin crystals form with intermixture of liquor and purification at first confirmed hard. However, he was happily united Harry W. Smith, an industrial experimenter who pegged away through many significant experiments in trying to purify the crystals, which he finally finished by solution and reprecipitation in ether. A pure aspirin was manufactured that more than followed purity of the British Pharmacopoeia requirements. There were still the only problem of trading the product by producing a fine grain tablet way.
Primarily known as ‘Nicholas Aspirin,’ the product name was altered to ‘Aspro,’ from the last two letters of the name Nicholas, and the first three of the word product name. Two supplementations to the firm assisted to provide its future prosperity: R. Rowson, a mechanical innovator and improvisor, who prolonged the tablet production, and George Davies, a dangerously aggressive marketing man, who covered market, and looked at monthly sales – 4000 top. This led to demand for new, faster tableting engines, and Rowson came to America to organize the best and latest engines purchase. Whilst there, he heard of Sanitape packaging press which had been discovered to disperse seeds for farmers. The inventors then practiced with this procedure, and were capable to apply it to dispensing tablets – it was a procedure ahead of its time.
The new, faster tableting engines were utilized along with a Sanitape packaging press which scattered tablets one at a time on to a paper strip. This strip was then folded over lengthwise, totally covering the tablets. The paper was then folded again into a zig-zag and waxed over to preclude moisture, a required property for Aspro. Apart from the patent obtained the tablets by Sanitape there was the true convenience – a few wrapped tablets could be broken off the zig-zag and slipped into pockets or purses.
Other technical promotions were also being ensued, such as starch drying, a pill ingredient which let it dissolve more easily when swallowed. It was also about this time that the firm name was altered from G. R. Nicholas & Co. to Nicholas Proprietary Limited, whose modern history is better known.